Wednesday, March 23, 2011
1 pound high quality milk chocolate, chopped
8 cups ridged potato chips
1.Place about 3/4 of the chocolate into a heat safe bowl, and place over the top of a pan of simmering water. If you have a double boiler, use that. Heat, stirring occasionally until the chocolate has melted, then continue to heat the chocolate to 110 degrees F (43 degrees C), stirring occasionally. You may use a meat thermometer if your candy thermometer does not go that low.
2.As soon as the melted chocolate reaches temperature, remove it from the heat, and stir in the remaining chopped chocolate until melted. Continue stirring until the chocolate has cooled to 90 degrees F (32 degrees C). Touching a dab of chocolate to your lip will feel cool.
3.Use tongs to dip potato chips one at a time into the chocolate. Place on waxed paper starting at the point farthest from you and working your way in so as not to drip on your finished chips. Cool until set. You may refrigerate if you like.
Makes 8-10 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 5-6 hours
2 cups (16oz.) evaporated milk
3 cups (24oz.) cottage cheese
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 cup (8oz.) sour cream
2 cups cubed cooked ham
7 uncooked lasagna noodles
Large mixing bowl
Safety can opener
Large wooden spoon
4 or 5 qt. slow cooker
1. Have an adult help you crack 3 eggs into a large mixing bowl.
2. Use a safety can opener to open the cans of evaporated milk. Add the 2 cups of evaporated milk to the eggs in the mixing bowl.
3. Add the cottage cheese, salt, pepper, sour cream, and cubed cooked ham to the mixing bowl. Stir well with a large wooden spoon.
4. Place 1/3 of the creamy ham mixture into the bottom of your slow cooker.
5. Layer half the uncooked noodles on top of the ham mixture. Break them if you need to to make them fit.
6. Repeat Step 4, using half the remaining creamy mixture.
7. Repeat Step 5, using all the remaining noodles.
8. Cover the noodles with the remaining creamy ham sauce. Make sure that the noodles are not sticking out of the sauce. Push them down in so they're fully covered.
9. Cover your slow cooker. Cook on Low for 5-6 hours.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with a green salad or vegetable if you wish.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Chilling Time: 8 hours
Cooking Time: 4 hours
Ideal slow cooker size: 3-qt.
1 lb. loose sausage
2 cups milk
8 slices bread, cubed
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1. In a non-stick skillet, brown and drain sausage.
2. Mix together eggs and milk in a large bowl.
3. Stir in bread cubes, cheese, and sausage.
4. Place in greased slow cooker.
5. Refrigerate overnight.
6. Cook on Low 4 hours.
Variation: Use cubed cooked ham instead of sausage.